Monday, January 19, 2009

New Project

We have a new project we're working on... 

Last week, a friend of mine called me about a desperate situation-- a man had to give up his 95 lb, 8 month old Rottweiler and was determined to do it THAT day because the dog was too much for his 79 year old roommate (wife, mother, I have no clue-- he wouldn't say?).  He said he was devastated, but it had to be done. I have learned through through dog rescue, that most Rotties have NO chance in a shelter--they are viewed as much too dangerous to re-home...AND if he didn't end up in a shelter, there are all kinds of people looking for a free Rottie for the wrong reasons--guard dogs, fighting dogs, etc...  I know they can be dangerous if they aren't raised correctly, but the unfair stereotypes that plague the breed are not an issue for me. I grew up reading (and LOVING) the "Good Dog, Carl" books, and anyone reading this who knew Ginger Taylor would have to be a Rottweiler lover!  Taylor and I had hoped to get one after we
 adopted Gamer, but I didn't want to go to a breeder, and then Maggie found us...and then Tubbs, and then Pumpkin! :)

I called the man and told him I'd meet him that day to take the dog.  Yes, I know, this may not have been the safest decision, but if this dog was seriously a threat to society, I figured he should at least have a chance before that decision was made.  And he met me at the doggie daycare that helps me with all my rescues, so I was in a safe place :) 

LONG story short, the Rottweiler is safe at the daycare now, and I have spent the last 5 days working with him. He's awesome :)  He is a purebred with bloodlines all the way back to his great-great-grandparents, and his AKC registered name is Cujo von Hercules-- but we can't call him CUJO! So we're thinking of names for him until he finds his new home-- any ideas? 

That's the latest with us... rescuing dogs as always, and loving every minute of it. :)

2 comments:

Wildefrost said...

OMG he's sooo beautiful. Wish we could have more than three pups. :)

The Ealy's said...

you have GOT to send the pics to mom and dad!