Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Only Child for a Day

Maggie and Pumpkin went to the spa today to get their summer hair cuts (my camera is charging so I don't have new pics of them yet--they are adorable as usual!)... which left Gamer alone with me all day. I would like to say she missed her sisters, but let's be honest, Gamer is and always will be an only child (in her mind at least)... I don't think she's really accepted the fact that the other two are here to stay ;).

So, before work, I took her to a huge dog park, where she got to run ALL by herself for almost 20 minutes! The other dogs were hanging out, playing as only well-socialized dogs can, in the small dog area separated by a fence (even though they were all huge dogs), which was just fine with me. But the people incorrectly assumed that I brought my dog to the dog park to socialize, so they all came walking over to join Gamer and me... apologizing for being in the "wrong" side of the park and leaving my dog all alone. I could hear Gamer's sigh of disappointment from the other end of the park...we didn't stay long after that. As nice as the people were to come and join us, 6 large dogs intruding on Gamer's intense squirrel hunting does not make her a happy camper.  Although, I have to say, she didn't embarrass me with her growling or snapping at all with the other dogs! I was so proud of her--only a couple sly teeth-baring moves that only I caught (not the other owners!).

This is Gamer's signature hunting move that started 6 years ago on Peabody campus (which is overrun by Vanderbilt's unnaturally brave--and gigantic-- squirrels)... She stalks the squirrel while standing completely still, then charges it as fast as she can. She inevitably misses the target...and then continues to jog past the spot where the squirrel was to save her pride and act like she was heading that way for a totally different reason.

So we came home, and to be fair, I gave her a bath...I just can't quite justify sending her to the dog spa when she is pretty much balding with light fuzzy fur here and there ;) Plus we have all kinds of special medicated shampoo to use with her. 

Here are her thoughts on bath time and her day full of quality time with Mom. 



While we're giving Gamer her day in the spotlight--here's one of my favorite videos of her with our foster dog, Olivia. Olivia wanted to be her friend SOOO badly, and Gamer is trying so hard not to growl at her here (but completely not understanding that in dog language, Olivia just wants to get past her)


Haha--that's our girl! :) 

And again, as a disclaimer, she really is the sweetest thing... and truly the love of our lives---I just don't think she knows she's a dog, and therefore sees no reason to act like one or associate with them ;)

1 comment:

Wildefrost said...

Haha, Gamer is awesome. And they're all such lucky doggies to have you and Taylor!!